How does one become a Lawyer in Malta?
The procedure of becoming a lawyer in Malta is time consuming. After the required studies the person who wants to practice as an Advocate in Malta, needs to possess a Warrant which is issued only by the President of Malta under the Public Seal of Malta. The criteria of getting a Warrant according to Section 81 of the Code of Organization and Civil Procedures are:-
- the applicant must be of good conduct and morals;
- a citizen of Malta, citizen of a Member State or is otherwise permitted to work in Malta under any law;
- has obtained the academic degree of Doctor of Law (LL.D.) in accordance with the provisions of the Statute of the University of Malta, or a comparable degree from such other competent authority in accordance with the principles of mutual recognition of qualifications, after having studied law in Malta or in a Member State;
- has, after satisfying the requirement of paragraph (3), or, in the case of persons regularly following the academic course of law in the University of Malta, at any time after the commencement of the last academic year of the said course, for a period of not less than one year regularly attended at the office of a practicing advocate of the Bar of Malta and at the sittings of the superior courts;
- possesses a full knowledge of the Maltese language as being the language of the courts;
- Has been duly examined and approved by two judges who shall issue, under their signature and seal, a certificate attesting that they have found the applicant to possess the qualifications above-mentioned and that the applicant is competent to exercise the profession of advocate in the courts of Malta.
Advocates/lawyers in Malta are regulated by a Code of Ethics as it is in other European countries. This means that the lawyer is bonded with the force of law. The judging authority is the Committee for Advocates and Legal Procurators which regulates the legal profession in Malta.
An additional body that supervises the work of the courts, the members of the judiciary and the members of the legal profession is the Committee for Advocates and Legal Procurators. This body was set in June 1994.
A selection of reliable list of lawyers in Malta can be found on our legal portal that is specialized in all wide range of areas of legal practice. Our Malta lawyers directory aim to help every individual around the world that seek to find a legal professional in Malta that can help you either to incorporate your business, open a bank account or buy a property. Lawyers in Malta has a good international network that can also help you to operate in a global market. Business can use the advantages of the tax system and the stable bank system in Malta while operating internationally. Legal firms have various departments with professionals in several fields of expertise in order to provide the best possible legal guidance.
The choice of the right legal professional can be a difficult choice. To find the most suitable and trustworthy associate is a decision that must be taken after serious consideration. We recommend our website visitors to make a thorough research, compare and feel 100% confident of their choice. In our legal directory you can review about each firm that is listed, read about their practice and vision, send an enquiry asking about your case or simply send an email.